After much discussion Mr Big and I have decided to sell our current home, we were thinking of keeping it as an investment property when we move into our new house but when we weighed up the options we felt selling it would be more beneficial, especially to our hip pocket.
So now to turn our home into a perfectly staged house ready for sale.
What is Home Staging?
Home staging is preparing a residence for sale in the real estate marketplace. The goal of staging is to make a home appealing to the highest number of potential buyers, thereby selling a property quicker and for more money.
As a qualified property stylist, yes I do have qualifications other than master shopper / spender, here is my Must Do List for anyone planning to sell their property.
- Depersonalise the property – have you ever gone to a home open and not really noticed the beautiful features of the property because you were to distracted by all of the family photos on the wall and the kids finger paintings on the fridge? It is extremely difficult for someone to imagine living in a place when they are surrounded by things that scream get out, this is our family home not yours!
- Take down and pack away all personal pictures, your childrens school artwork, family albums, personal mementos.
- Remove everything from the shower, bath and vanities that says we live here! Shampoos, kids toys, toothbrushes, makeup etc all need to be put away in the cupboard when a viewing is scheduled.
- Put away pet bowls, toys and if you can take your pet with you when you have a home open on.
2. Declutter & Clean- this is a must do! Pack away and store excess “stuff” like toys, books, knick knacks, trinkets even remove some pieces of furniture if they are too big and bulky for the space. You want your house to feel similar to a display home.
- Make sure your house is sparkling clean
- Clean windows inside and out
- Remove any cobwebs
- Make sure clothes are put away, beds are made and no dishes are in the sink for viewings
- Clear any clutter from the kitchen bench
3. Finish those little jobs you have been putting off for years – simple things like patching up that old picture hook or fixing the broken piece of decking on the patio will make your house more appealing.
4. Street appeal – a little fact for you, buyers will have made their mind up about your house within 3 – 5 seconds of seeing the front of your property. If your place looks unkept or unloved, I guarentee people will either drive on by or they have already dropped a few thousand off their offering price.
- Mow lawns
- Weed any gardens
- Give the exterior a lick of fresh paint if it needs it
- Add a stylish pot plant near the front door
5. Neutral, Neutral, Neutral – if you have alot of bright colours or to many different coloured walls in your home I would highly recommend you paint all interior walls the same colour in a neutral, light colour. You are wanting to appeal to as many potential buyers as possible, not everyone likes bright orange walls and even though you may think “they can just paint over it themselves!” alot of people will not consider your property a contender when they see it online because of this. Believe me when I say a coat or two of paint can make the world of difference when selling your house.
6. Furniture – if your property is empty, hire or borrow some nice pieces of furniture and stylish accessories, even if you only stage the living area and master bedroom it will make your house more appealing and will help buyers visualise themselves living there.
…..and remember if the whole staging process is a little overwhelming, you can always call in the experts and hire a professional property stylist or home stager.